As we observe another “”Small Business Shopping Day”, I am asking you to consider doing this every day versus just one day a year.
Cheshire has so many wonderful unique local businesses whether it is R.W. Hine Ace Hardware, The Red Owl, Cheshire Sports Center or DW Gem Services LLC, along with some fabulous restaurants. They need your support to survive.
As a new business owner in Cheshire, I have realized that many of my customers are people I know who live in town and know that I am not going anywhere, provided they continue to support my business. Keep your local stores and restaurants here by supporting them whenever possible.
So why shop local when you can buy things on the internet or at the big box stores?
- The businesses in your community care about and are invested in the well-being of the community and its future. They consistently support local causes, whether it’s a charity, a team or a school. You won’t find the internet companies and big box stores doing this.
- Items aren’t always cheaper in the bigger stores or on the internet. I have seen better quality and less expensive items right here in Cheshire and they are happy to help me.
- You will get much better, personal service in your local store. Try asking a salesperson (if you can find one) a question about an item in the bigger stores. You probably won’t get a good answer. On the internet, you won’t find anyone usually and may rely on reviews to see if an item is any good. Who knows how accurate those are? Local stores will go out of their way to make sure their customers are happy and satisfied with their purchase. Remember, many of them are their neighbors and want them to be happy.
- You will get a more personalized service with the local stores. They know their customers and will be able to make sure you are satisfied with your purchase and make suggestions for items that may help you that you may not have thought of.
- What happens if you buy something and you find out it isn’t the right item? In the local stores, they will typically take it back and make sure you get what you need. If you buy it on the internet, you will have to box it up and ship it out and will lose any of the shipping charges you paid.
- Buying local improves your economy. Most local businesses will support other local businesses. A recent study shows that for every $100 spent in a local store, $68 stays in that town or city, versus $43 of each $100 spent at larger retail stores. Keeping the money in this community will help all of us.
- When you know the people who own the local business, you have a personal connection with them and should root for their success.
Local businesses are the heart of smaller towns like Cheshire. Support them year-round. We need these businesses to keep our town unique and special, support them every day.